MANILA - Two persons linked to the recruitment of Joanna Demafelis, the migrant worker whose body was found in a freezer in Kuwait, is now under the custody of the National of Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
Cesar Bacani, chief of NBI-National Capital Region, said Marissa Ansaji Mohammad, the woman who allegedly processed Demafelis' papers for her overseas employment, surfaced after they sent her a subpoena.
She was an employee of Mt. Carmel Recruitment Agency in 2014, the year Demafelis left for Kuwait for a job as domestic worker.
Also with the NBI is another woman who had employed Agnes Tuballes, the one who referred Demafelis to the recruitment agency. Her name was not released to media.
Bacani clarified that Mohammad is not yet a suspect. He said she is cooperating with authorities in their investigation on the slay of the Filipina domestic worker.
Earlier Thursday, Tuballes also surfaced to police after her name was dragged in the Pinay's slay. She said she merely referred Demafelis to the agency and she had done nothing wrong.
The Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group also clarified that Tuballes is not considered a suspect but that she came to police to give her side.
Demafelis' body was found in a freezer at an abandoned apartment in Kuwait last month, more than a year since she went missing. Her employers, a Lebanese and Syrian couple, were tagged in her killing and arrested last week following an Interpol manhunt.
Authorities said her recruiters could be held liable for her death as they failed to monitor her condition.
Demafelis' slay was just one of several OFW deaths that had prompted the government to impose a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait and initiate a repatriation program. --report from Johnson Manabat, ABS-CBN News