President Rodrigo Duterte assured labor groups that he will meet with jeepney drivers who held a national strike on the controversial plan to phase out old jeepneys, presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said Wednesday.
"It was an assurance that he would also listen to them because their own concerns were different," Abella said.
Transport group Piston earlier said 600,000 drivers and 200,000 operators nationwide took part in the transport strike earlier this week.
The strike prompted the cancellation of elementary and high school classes in key cities nationwide.
Other Metro Manila cities have also called off classes for college students.