DOH doctor, 6 others arrested in Mandaluyong drug bust

Angel Movido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 28 2019 03:36 PM | Updated as of Feb 28 2019 05:58 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - Seven people, including a doctor, were arrested Wednesday dawn during a drug bust in a posh condominium in Mandaluyong City.

Vanjoe Rufo De Guzman, a medical doctor assigned at the Department of Health in Metro Manila was immediately held up by anti-drug agents after he transacted with a poseur buyer.

The health department confirmed that De Guzman is among their regular employees but noted that he has been absent without leave (AWOL) since Nov. 26, 2018.

"Despite written directives to report immediately to the office, Dr. De Guzman has failed to comply," the DOH said in a statement.

It added that an order of separation has been sought for De Guzman's "eventual dismissal from service."

The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency said De Guzman was also considered a drug den maintainer for conducting "shabu" sessions inside his condominium unit.

Also arrested were Francis Fajardo, a concert organizer, and junior college varsity player Keanu Andrea Flores.

Authorities seized over 50 grams of shabu and suspected liquid ecstasy estimated to be worth P300,000 from the suspects.

Prior to the drug bust, surveillance operations were conducted since November of last year according to PDEA Special Enforcement Service Director Levi Ortiz.

Among De Guzman's clients are college students, event organizers and even some celebrities.

PDEA operatives also discovered photos and videos of drug use and orgies inside the condo unit.

The suspects are facing charges in violation of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.