Duterte: Bongbong 'not interested' in DILG post

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 27 2017 04:27 PM

Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and President Rdorigo Duterte. Composite

MANILA – Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. was not interested in becoming interior secretary, President Rodrigo Duterte said Monday. 

“He’s not interested,” said Duterte Monday when asked about reports that Marcos will soon get the key Cabinet post.

Earlier, there were reports that Marcos may be appointed to lead the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), drawing criticisms from vice presidential rival Leni Robredo. 

Marcos lost the vice-presidency to the Liberal Party (LP) bet and has since protested his loss before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal. 

Robredo earlier said Marcos should not be given a Cabinet post because the Marcoses have not paid for what they did to the country.

In an exclusive interview with ANC's "Headstart" this month, Robredo said there had been talk that the losing vice-presidential candidate would be given a Cabinet portfolio "as early as the inauguration" in June, but the Constitution prohibited his appointment within a year of losing the elections.

Robredo said although it was Duterte's prerogative to appoint people to his official family, her concern was "the Marcoses have not paid for what they did to the country."

"There have been several decisions already, asking them to pay back whatever they got from the government, whatever they got from the people; but all these judgments have not been satisfied yet," she said.

The Marcos family allegedly amassed billions of government funds and billions worth of jewelry during the term of former President Ferdinand Marcos.