Duterte offers at least P1 million prize for silent drill competition

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 25 2020 08:04 PM

MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday he could offer at least P1 million in prize money for the Presidential Silent Drill competition as he urged state troops to stage daily exercises.

Duterte said holding daily drills would give the Filipinos a sense of security.

“It gives our people a sense of security and proud to see the uniformity in the cadence when military drills do it. Gawin ninyo ‘yan (do that),” he said in a speech during the Presidential Security Group change of command ceremony at the Malacañang Park.

“And the December finals would be 1 million. Baka dagdagan ko pa ng P2 million. Dagdagan ko pa ng P3 million (I might add P2 million or P3 million),” he added.

In December, the Philippine Military Academy won the first Presidential Silent Drill competition which aimed to boost support for Duterte's bid to revive the mandatory Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program.

The PMA took home P300,000 during the competition.

Duterte previously said that he got the idea of staging daily drills during a trip to China when he witnessed a silent drill exhibition before the flag-lowering ceremony.