Same anti-Duterte ad also aired on GMA-7 - Kapuso official
MANILA — "Ulterior motive" fuels a government move against the franchise renewal of ABS-CBN Corp, not its decision to air a 2016 election ad against President Rodrigo Duterte, his critic, former Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, said Monday.
Trillanes, who paid for the ad, there was nothing illegal about it. He pointed out that GMA-7 aired the same ad, which showed children questioning Duterte's expletive-laden remarks. "And yet the President never complained about it when its franchise was renewed," the former senator said.
"Duterte/Bong Go’s assertion that the airing of my advertisement is the reason why the ABS-CBN franchise should not be renewed is a lie. Definitely there is another ulterior motive in the blocking of ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal," he added.
Sen. Christopher "Bong" Go, Duterte's former aide, said the advertisement "maligned then-presidential candidate Duterte for the purpose of destroying his reputation" during a crucial period in the campaign for the presidency.
The ad was pulled off air a day from its first broadcast, after then-Duterte running-mate Alan Peter Cayetano secured a temporary restraining order from a court in his bailiwick Taguig.
Earlier this month, the government's top lawyer also asked the Supreme Court to scrap ABS-CBN's franchise due to supposed abuses.
The House of Representatives meanwhile has yet to tackle several bills seeking the renewal of the media outlet's license to operate, which expires in March.
Duterte "has nothing to do" with ABS-CBN franchise woes and his repeated threats to shut down the network should not be taken literally, his spokesman Salvador Panelo earlier said.
ABS-CBN said it did not violate any law in its 65-year service.