High-powered firearms were seized from Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Barangay Nabalawag, Midsayap town, North Cotabato early Saturday.
The 34th Infantry Battalion conducted an operation following reports that suspected rebels were spotted in an area near the marshland.
The fighters were able to escape but left their boat where the following firearms were recovered:
- 3 rifles of caliber 30 Garand,
- 2 M14 rifles,
- 1 M16 rifle,
- 1 homemade 50 caliber barret,
- 10 rounds of 50 caliber ammunition,
- 120 rounds of 7.62 ammunition,
- 80 rounds of caliber 30 Garand ammunition,
- 40 rounds of caliber 5.56 ammunition,
- 2 magazines for M16 with bandolier,
- 8 magazines for M14 with bandolier,
- 20 clips for Garand,
- and uniforms and identification cards.
Lt. Col. Angelo Lutera, commander of the 34th IB, said the firearms belonged to the group of a certain Tong Asilon Salem, a subcommander of the BIFF under Karialan faction.
The recovered IDs also belonged to Salem.
Government forces are also on the lookout for reported BIFF members hiding in the marshlands.