'Fake news' spreaders will be barred from Palace: Panelo

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 22 2018 11:19 AM | Updated as of Oct 04 2018 01:45 AM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

MANILA - Those who spread "fake news" will be barred from covering Malacañang, Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Salvador Panelo said Thursday.

A reporter for news website Rappler, Pia Ranada, was barred from covering the Palace, on orders from President Rodrigo Duterte, following the agency's unsavory reports on the government.

"They will be taught a lesson. We cannot be creating a kind of demeanor on the part of the media," Panelo told ANC's Early Edition.

Asked about Communications Asst. Sec. Margaux "Mocha" Uson, who had been accused of spreading false information, Panelo said: "In the first place, she's in Malacañang, how can you ban her."

Uson had also apologized for her mistakes, Panelo said.

"Sec. Mocha was not spreading false information. She admits when she commits mistake. She corrects it," the lawyer added.

Rappler reported that Duterte's long-time aide, Christopher "Bong" Go, tried to influence the selection of a systems provider for 2 Navy frigates.

Go denied the allegation and faced a Senate investigation on the Navy ship deal earlier this week.