MANILA (3rd UDPATE) - Storm signal no. 2 was raised Sunday in several parts of the Visayas and Mindanao ahead of Tropical Storm Auring's landfall, the state weather bureau said.
The country's first storm this year was last estimated 320 kilometers east of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur at 1 p.m., moving northwest at 15 km per hour while packing 65 kph maximum winds near the center and gusts of up to 80 kph, PAGASA said in its 2 p.m. weather bulletin.
Tropical cyclone wind signal no. 2, where winds of 61-120 kph may damage poorly constructed signs/billboards and down wooden or old electric posts, was hoisted over the following areas:
- central and southern portions of Eastern Samar (Sulat, Taft, San Julian, Borongan City, Maydolong, Balangkayan, Balangiga, Lawaan, Llorente, Hernani, General Macarthur, Quinapondan, Giporlos, Salcedo, Mercedes, Guiuan)
- Dinagat Islands and Surigao del Norte, including Siargao and Bucas Grande Islands
Tropical cyclone wind signal no. 1 was raised in the following areas, where rice crops may suffer significant damage and some banana plants may be tilted:
- Masbate including Ticao and Burias Islands
- eastern portion of Camarines Sur (Caramoan, Presentacion, Sagnay, Buhi, Iriga City, Nabua, Bato, Balatan)
- Northern Samar
- rest of Eastern Samar
- Southern Leyte
- Negros Oriental
- northern and central portions of Negros Occidental (Kabankalan City, Himamaylan City, Binalbagan, Isabela, Moises Padilla, Hinigaran, La Castellana, Pontevedra, San Enrique, La Carlota City, Pulupandan, Valladolid, Bago City, Murcia, Bacolod City, Talisay City, Silay City, Enrique B. Magalona, Victorias City, Manapla, Cadiz City, Sagay City, Escalante City, Toboso, Calatrava, San Carlos City, Salvador Benedicto)
- eastern portion of Iloilo (San Rafael, Barotac Viejo, Lemery, Ajuy, Sara, Concepcion, San Dionisio, Batad, Estancia, Balasan, Carles)
- eastern portion of Capiz (Roxas City, Panitan, Ma-Ayon, Cuartero, Dumarao, Panay, Pontevedra, President Roxas, Pilar)
- Surigao del Sur
- Agusan del Norte
- Agusan del Sur
- Davao Oriental
- Davao de Oro
- Davao del Norte
- Davao City
- Misamis Oriental
Auring is forecast to make landfall between Sunday evening and early Monday over the areas of Dinagat Islands, Eastern Samar (southern portion including Homonhon Island), and Leyte.
PAGASA said there was an "increasing likelihood" that the storm would weaken into a tropical depression before it makes landfall due to "persistent high vertical wind shear" associated with the surge of the northeast monsoon or amihan.
Moderate to heavy rains are expected Sunday over Caraga, Eastern Visayas, Misamis Oriental, Bukidnon, and Camiguin, PAGASA said.
It added that light to moderate with at times heavy rains will prevail over Zamboanga Peninsula, Bicol Region, MIMAROPA, Davao Oriental, Davao de Oro, Quezon, and the rest of Visayas and Northern Mindanao.
PAGASA warned that flash floods and rain-induced landslides were likely during heavy or prolonged rainfall especially in areas highly susceptible to these hazards.