CHR to probe killing of former BuCor official

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 20 2020 06:41 PM

MANILA - The Commission of Human Rights on Thursday said it will launch its own investigation into the killing of a former Bureau of Corrections official who testified at a Senate inquiry about the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

CHR Spokesperson Atty. Jacqueline Ann De Guia said the commission will coordinate with law enforcement when it probes the shooting to death of Fredric Santos, the former head of the BuCor's legal division.

"The Commission on Human Rights strongly condemns the recent killing of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) officer, who was shot by unidentified assailants last Wednesday, February 18, in Muntinlupa City," De Guia said in a statement.

The CHR called on law enforcement authorities to ensure that Santos' fellow suspended BuCor officials will not suffer the same fate.

"CHR calls on our law enforcement authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice, and to ensure that this incident isn’t repeated with Santos’ fellow suspended BuCor officials and personnel," De Guia said.

Santos was aboard his vehicle in front of his child's school in Barangay Poblacion when he was attacked by 2 gunmen.

Santos was BuCor's legal division chief when senators investigated the bureau for allowing heinous crime convicts to walk free without seeking the approval of the Department of Justice, the agency overseeing the bureau.

He was cited in contempt for supposedly lying and being evasive when asked about the alleged anomalies in Bilibid.

At least three BuCor officials had been killed since 2018. Police said the murders could be linked to the release of heinous crime convicts.