MANILA - Police authorities are not discounting the possibility that a suspected Islamic State (IS) member arrested in the Philippine capital recently was not operating alone.
Chief Supt. John Bulalacao, Philippine National Police spokesperson, told DZMM Tuesday that investigations are ongoing, and intelligence activities have been intensified against threats to public safety.
"Bagama't patuloy ang pag-iimbestiga, hindi natin ineetsapwera 'yung ganoong ideya na meron siyang mga kasamahan," said Bulalacao.
Egyptian Fehmi Lassqued was arrested in a raid in his apartment where police recovered homemade bombs, firearms, ammunition, an ISIS flag, and papers detailing an alleged terror attack plot.
The suspect, who slipped into the country in July 2016 using different passports and aliases, is allegedly an ISIS official and former negotiator for the terrorists.
The foreigner denied the accusations, saying the pieces of evidence against him were planted. But the police said information they got indicated that he had been recruiting ISIS members in the country since 2016.
Bulalacao said there's no need for the public to be scared as the PNP remains on full alert for potential ISIS threats.