Demafelis kin want Joanna's cellphone, other things returned

Joyce Ann Clavecillas, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 20 2018 04:42 PM | Updated as of Sep 28 2018 12:30 PM

Demafelis family receives P100,000 from the Iloilo government. Joyce Ann Clavecillas, ABS-CBN News

ILOILO CITY - The provincial government of Iloilo on Tuesday said it will help the family of slain overseas worker Joanna Demafelis retrieve her belongings from Kuwait.

Demafelis, a household service worker in the Gulf state, returned home in a wooden coffin last week, days after she was identified as the OFW found in a freezer in an abandoned apartment. 

Her body bore torture wounds, including bruises and a broken hipbone. Initial investigation found she died of internal bleeding.

Her family on Tuesday received financial assistance of P100,000 from the provincial government. They met with Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor Sr., who said he will do his best to help the bereaved family.

Joejet Demafelis, the eldest of the siblings, sought the help of the governor to hasten the process of bringing back the personal belongings of Joanna. 

"Parang humihingi siya sa amin ng tulong, kailangan niya ng hustisya. Parang ang sinasabi niya din na parang may naiwan siyang cellphone. Kailangan kong makuha ang cellphone," he said.

(It's like she was asking for our help, seeking justice. It was as if she was telling us that she left behind her cellphone. I have to get back her cellphone.)

Demafelis flew to the Kuwait in 2014 to support her family in Iloilo but expressed intent to return home in 2016. She was last seen alive in September that year.

Kuwaiti officials are working with Interpol to search for Demafelis' employers, a Lebanese man and his a Syrian wife.