MANILA - The Department of Education (DepEd) on Wednesday allowed the resumption of different school activities, after different government agencies said it is safe to attend concerts and other big gatherings despite the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China.
DepEd, in a memorandum, said public schools nationwide can resume national, regional, and other off-campus activities starting Feb. 24, provided precautionary measures are taken to ensure the safety of students.
These measures include ensuring adequate supply of water and soap in schools, as well as providing hand sanitizers and rubbing alcohol at entrances of schools and offices.
Schools should also ensure regular disinfection of doorknobs and handles.
Private schools are likewise "highly encouraged" to follow the DepEd memo and adopt said precautionary measures.
DepEd earlier this month postponed its regional and national activities in line with the guidelines to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
The DepEd, in a memorandum, said it also "highly discouraged" activities at the division or district level which would involve the gathering of participants from various schools. It left organizers to consult with local health authorities whether to push through with the activities.
As of Tuesday, China has reported more than 74,000 new virus cases and at least 2,000 deaths.
In the Philippines, there were 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19. While one of the Chinese travelers died due to the disease, the other two have already recovered. - with a report from Jasmin Romero, ABS-CBN News