(UPDATED) Local officials and the Philippine National Police (PNP) have again assured Koreans residing in the country that they will do their best to secure "each and every one" of them.
"From now on, I would like to assure everyone that the PNP with the support of the local government of the province of Pampanga and city of Angeles will do its best to secure each and every one of you," PNP chief Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa told Koreans in Clark, Pampanga on Wednesday.
He will also give out the hotline number of the police’s counterintelligence task force, Dela Rosa said.
"Whenever they feel threatened, whatever unauthorized or illegal operations are undertaken by any members of the police against them, they can inform us so we can act on them immediately," he said.
Pampanga Governor Lilia Pineda meanwhile asked the Korean community in the province to continue trusting Filipino authorities.
"Please cooperate with us, police officers and government leaders, as we try to improve and ensure peace and order. Let us put in place mechanisms for positive action and feedback," she said.
The meeting with members of the South Korean community in Pampanga came after numerous apologies by President Rodrigo Duterte and PNP officials for the kidnap-slay of businessman Jee Ick Joo, and a separate incident in December where rogue cops extorted money from Korean tourists.
Last week, foreign businessmen expressed support for the "deep concerns" raised by Korean businessmen over the crimes. –with reports from Trisha Mostoles, ABS-CBN News