'Wala 'yun': Duterte dismisses Sandra Cam’s allegations vs PCSO boss

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 12 2018 06:14 PM | Updated as of Feb 13 2018 07:24 AM

Watch more in iWant or iWantTFC

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday dismissed allegations against Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) General Manager Alexander Balutan, who was accused of corruption by the state charity arm’s board member Sandra Cam.

Cam earlier accused Balutan of irregularity for spending millions for PCSO’s Christmas party last year.

Duterte, however, does not seem alarmed by the allegations.

“Iyung reklamo kay Balutan na gumastos ng milyon? Wala iyun, ang mahalaga naibibigay ang serbisyo sa nangangailangan,” Duterte said in a speech in Cebu City.

Cam earlier accused Balutan of allowing the PCSO to spend abour P10 million for the agency’s Christmas party. Balutan, however, said only P6.4 million was spent for the party attended by thousands of agency’s employees.

Cam also accused Balutan and former PCSO chairman Jose Jorge Corpuz of receiving the backing of businessman Bong Pineda, who is allegedly behind operations of illegal numbers game “jueteng.”

The PCSO general manager, in turn, accused Cam of plotting to replace him to allow gambling operator Charlie “Atong” Ang to monopolize small town lottery.

Duterte had previously teased Cam to mend ties with Balutan, showing the chief executive did not take Cam’s allegations against the PCSO general manager seriously.