MANILA - The House of Representatives has approved on second reading a bill expanding the list of vaccine-preventable diseases under mandatory basic immunization for children.
House Bill 9068 includes the following illnesses in the expanded list:
- Japanese Encephalitis
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV 13)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Other diseases as may be determined by the Health Secretary Health in a department circular upon the recommendation of the Formulary Executive Council (FEC) and the National Immunization Committee (NIC)
The following diseases are included in the present list:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis
- Rubella or German Measles
- H. Influenza Type-B (HIB)
- Others that may be determined by the Health Secretary in a department circular
The proposed measure limits the power of the Health Secretary to include in the list other types of vaccine-preventable diseases by requiring the FEC recommendation and presentation before the Senate and House committees on health, according to one of the principal authors Quezon Rep. Angelina Tan.