The Department of Interior and Local Government in Northern Mindanao on Monday served a dismissal order against Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno, who was found guilty of grave misconduct, serious dishonesty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.
The Office of the Ombudsman found Moreno guilty of several charges over questionable heavy equipment lease contracts when he was still governor of Misamis Oriental.
Also ordered dismissed were former Misamis Oriental officials: former Acting Provincial Budget Officer Elmer Wabe, former Assistant Provincial Engineer Rolando Pacuribot, and former Provincial Administrator Patrick Gabutina.
Atty. Dale Mordeno, chief legal counsel of Moreno, said the dismissal order is non-operative since they have filed previous motions before the Court of Appeals.
"The CA has an order before, this is 24 administrative cases, this new dismissal order was last of the 24 cases. Previously the 23 other cases have Temporary Restraining Order and Writ of Preliminary Injunction. The CA's last order said that a TRO and WPI is not needed on the 24 consolidated cases because a TRO has already been issued before," he said.
DILG-10 Director Arnel Agabe said they are just abiding by the decision of the Ombudsman and since they have served the dismissal order against Moreno, by law of succession Vice Mayor Joaquin "Kikang" Uy should take over as the new mayor of the city.
"There is no need for us to install anyone by operation of law the vice mayor becomes the mayor should there be a permanent vacancy the office of the mayor considering we have served already the decision of the Ombudsman dismissing mayor Moreno from the public office means to say that the vice mayor should assume (as mayor)," he said.
Uy's camp told ABS-CBN News that he has not yet taken his oath as the new city mayor.
Moreno's camp said it will hold a press conference Thursday.