MANILA -- Authorities are investigating the possible involvement of a Moro rebel faction in a triple bomb attacks in Lanao del Norte province on the eve of a plebiscite on the inclusion of some areas in the new autonomous Muslim region called Bangsamoro, a police spokesman said Wednesday.
The Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, which was not party to peace talks that led to the plebiscite, reportedly deployed hundreds to intimidate voters and was allegedly behind the blasts in the towns of Kauswagan, Sultan Naga de Maporo and Lala, said Senior Supt. Bernard Banac, spokesperson of the Philippine National Police.
Military information tagged the BIFF, led by Commander Bravo, as among "spoilers" of the peace deal between Manila and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, Banac told ANC.
"We're still looking at the report and verifying this information that we got," he said.
The bombings, which did not cause any fatality or injury, targeted unoccupied areas including an empty school building, a roadside and a dump truck, Banac noted.
Some 700,000 voters in 6 Lanao del Norte municipalities and 67 North Cotabato barangays were set to decide Wednesday on their inclusion in the Bangsamoro, which will replace the current Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
There were no untoward incidents in the plebiscite so far, said Banac.
ANC, 6 February 2019