Trillanes' call to probe Duterte's bank accounts is 'old news,' says Roque

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 04 2018 10:18 PM | Updated as of Feb 04 2018 11:58 PM

MANILA - The government should not waste resources in investigating the alleged ill-gotten wealth of President Rodrigo Duterte and his daughter Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, according to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque. 

Speaking to ANC Sunday, Roque said these allegations made by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV are "old news." He stressed that the documents that Trillanes used in his accusations are all unauthenticated. 

"This is old news; this is rehashed. He already sounds like a broken record. This first came about during the elections but Senator Trillanes was not able to establish anything," said Roque.

Overall Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Arthur Carandang previously said he got an Anti-Money Laundering Council report showing Duterte's bank account has an amount of over P1 billion, which is the same as the report submitted by Trillanes. 

However, the AMLC denied that the document came from them. For this, Malacañang has already filed administrative charges against Carandang, the lead investigator in the probe into the wealth of Duterte.

"I don't know why government resource should be used in an investigation based on a document which is not unauthenticated and which AMLC says is containing false data," Roque said. 

Trillanes earlier said he is set to file a resolution calling on the Senate to investigate the alleged ill-gotten wealth of the Dutertes. He said the resolution that he will file Monday seeks to look into bank alleged undisclosed transactions "that may have violated the Anti-Money Laundering Act."