A Korean national who was detained for 7 hours and made to pay hundreds of thousands of pesos to 7 corrupt Angeles cops in the "hulidap" incident last month has returned to the Philippines.
The Korean, one of three victimized in the incident, showed up at the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group office in Pampanga Tuesday to give a formal statement on the robbery.
Representatives of CIDG-3, Angeles City Police Office and Police Regional Office 3 have also arrived for a case conference to determine if robbery or kidnapping charges will be filed against the 7 accused cops. The 7 are PO1 Jayson Ibe, PO1 Ruben Rodriguez II, PO1 Mark Joseph Pineda, PO2 Richard King Agapito, PO3 Arnold Nagayo, PO3 Roentjen Domingo and PO3 Gomerson Evangelista
A complaint filed by Park Min Hoon and Kee Ki Hoon earlier said they are Korean tourists who came to the Philippines last year at around August and September to play golf.
"Last December 30, around 5:30 p.m., 6 to 7 police officers came to our place and took us to police station. During this, they kept beating us and we got injured on the head and hands. They also took our cash, bags, shoes, gold ring, speaker and so forth," the complaint read.
CCTV footage earlier showed the police officers arriving in two cars at a residence in Friendship Plaza in Angeles City where the 3 South Koreans were staying while on vacation in the Philippines.
The footage showed one of the Koreans running from the police who had his gun out. It also showed Park trying to resist the police officers from bringing him to the police car.
The video showed the cops taking golf equipment, shoes, jewelry, and other items from the house before talking the 3 to the police station where they were held for 7 hours.
The cops claimed that the South Koreans were involved in illegal gambling but had no arrest order or a search warrant.
In a statement, the Koreans said they gave P10,000 and another P300,000 they borrowed from a friend after the police kept asking them for money.
Chief Superintendent Aaron Aquino, Philippine National Police-Region 3 director, earlier said there were no complaints against the Koreans or even a blotter documenting the “arrest.”
PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa has ordered the dismissal of the 7 cops. Aquino was also relieved as Angeles police chief.
Police are set to meet leaders of the Korean Community Association in Region 3 to find out if there are other similar incidents of harassment against Koreans. There are an estimated 20,000 Koreans in Region 3. Report by Gracie Rutao, ABS-CBN News