So far, so good: No problems on Day 1 of 'Tokhang' reload - Bato

Bianca Dava, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 30 2018 01:44 PM

MANILA - Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa on Tuesday said he is satisfied with the resumption of "Oplan Tokhang", which saw police officers making visits to the homes of drug users and dealers to convince them to stop using drugs. 

Dela Rosa said no problems were encountered during the first day of the door-to-door anti-drug campaign.

"On the first day of the resumption of our Oplan Tokhang, maraming na-tokhang. So far, so good. Wala tayong nakitang problema sa reimplementation ng Tokhang," Dela Rosa told reporters in an interview.

"Everything is going smoothly sa ground," he added.

The country's top cop reiterated his invitation to barangay officials, representatives of religious sectors, and members of the media to join the door-to-door campaign against narcotics and expressed hopes that the relaunched police campaign would continue smoothly.

"I'm very satisfied sa relaunch ng Oplan Tokhang. I hope tuloy-tuloy na ito..." he said.

The PNP relaunched its crackdown on illegal drugs under a fresh set of guidelines in a bid to ensure transparency and prevent suspicion of abuse in the campaign. 

The conduct of Tokhang operations has been limited only to daytime on weekdays, deviating from usual nighttime operations that had drawn suspicion of abuses. 

Nearly 4,000 people have been killed in drug operations from July 1, 2016 to January 17, 2018 according to the PNP.