'Jerry' surfaces, tags Sta. Isabel in Jee kidnap-slay

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 30 2017 07:01 PM | Updated as of Jan 30 2017 09:16 PM

Senior Police Officer 3 Ricky Sta. Isabel. NPPA IMAGES/File

A suspect in the kidnap-slay of South Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo surfaced on Monday after seeking protective custody at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) headquarters.

Jerry Omlang admitted that he was one of the abductors of Jee, and that he was the one seen in the footage of Jee's kidnapping that shows a man withdrawing money from an ATM.

“Ako po yung alias 'Jerry' na nakita niyo na nagwi-withdraw sa ATM,” he said in a press briefing. “Kasama po ako dun sa pagkuha sa Pampanga."

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II, who attended the press briefing, said Omlang told him that Jee was still alive when the ATM withdrawal was made.

Omlang tagged Senior Police Officer 3 Ricky Sta. Isabel in the kidnap-slay of Jee and revealed that he conducted surveillance on the victim for about two weeks.

“Umpisa pa lang po ako nag-surveillance. Mga two weeks po. Mga first week of October,” Omlang said.

Jee was abducted from his home in Angeles City, Pampanga on October 18 last year and was killed allegedly inside Camp Crame on the same day.

NBI Director Dante Gierran denied the agency’s links with Omlang, saying no NBI agent was involved and Omlang was only an unpaid volunteer.

“Kung merong NBI agents na involved, papatayin ko sila. Walang NBI agents involved sa kaso,” Gierran said.

Aguirre said a Pampanga regional trial court has ordered the reinvestigation on Jee’s kidnapping and murder. 

He also clarified that Omlang voluntarily sought protective custody and was not arrested.

“Kusang humingi ng protective custody si Omlang sa NBI noon pang Biyernes ng gabi,” he said.

Gierran said Omlang’s surrender was timely, as loose ends in Jee’s case are now being tied up.

He said five people were involved in Jee’s kidnapping and named Sta. Isabel, Omlang, and Supt. Rafael Dumlao.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday gave Dumlao 24 hours to surrender and offered a P5 million bounty on him if he doesn't.

PNP Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa, however, told Duterte that Dumlao has offered to be taken into custody.

Gierran said Omlang’s statements contradict the testimony of Sta. Isabel, who claimed that he was in a Taguig court when the kidnapping happened.

Sta. Isabel has repeatedly denied allegations that he was the mastermind behind the kidnapping and killing of Jee and accused Dumlao instead.