The ANC Brief: Carnage in the South

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 29 2019 04:10 AM

President Duterte is “angry and disappointed” over the Jolo twin blasts. And police go on heightened alert nationwide. Here are the stories making the headlines on ANC today:

Manhunt
Carnage in a region under martial law of which the government itself has imposed. The PNP is on heightened alert nationwide. This means half of the police force will have to be at their posts. Jolo is on lockdown after twin blasts, PNP Chief Dir. Gen. Oscar Albayalde said. This means roadblocks and checkpoints are up. A brother of a ASG leader is the initial suspect. By now, a manhunt is underway for the suspect. And who is the Ajang-Ajang of the Abu Sayyaf? Who is the foreigner who is said to be the suicide bomber? Will there be spillover attacks? PNP spokesperson Sr. Supt. Bernard Banac will be on Early Edition.

Angry and disappointed
Also on the Jolo blasts, President Duterte inspected the site of the incident. The Palace said he was angry and disappointed. He will be at a 5 p.m. event in Malabon. He is likely to talk about what he saw in Jolo. Last year, he called on the Abu Sayyaf to talk peace with him. He might change his conciliatory tone towards the bandit group.

Revenue hunting
The Senate Ways and Means committee is set to hold an 11 am hearing on excise tax rates on tobacco products. This tax is meant to fund key government programs like universal health care. The hearing will also tackle the fiscal regime for the mining industry, including revenue sharing. Both topics may change the nature, not to mention the profitability, of the two industries.

Public perception
The House passed on third and final reading a bill lowering the minimum age of criminal responsibility. All eyes are now on the Senate on this controversial measure. The CHR will hold a press conference on the bill and will show a public perception survey on this. Will the survey sway lawmakers on the bill?

Non-compliance
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said they will announce the name of additional non-compliant establishments that pollute Manila Bay.