MANILA -- The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is studying a suspension of the deployment of Filipino household workers to Kuwait, following the execution of a Pinay worker there last week.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said there are growing calls for a moratorium due to the abuses experienced by OFWs, especially female domestic helpers.
"We are taking this call for a moratorium seriously. We will conduct consultations with our partners and other government agencies," he said in a statement released Saturday.
"We will make a decision on the proposed moratorium soon."
Bello was in Rome for the third round of formal peace talks when OFW Jakatia Pawa was executed Wednesday for the 2007 killing of her employer's daughter.
He said he has directed the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to fast-track the release of necessary documents for Pawa's family to visit her grave in Kuwait.
Bello also immediately flew to Kuwait to personally check on the status of Elpidio Lano, another Filipino on death row.
Lano was convicted for the killing of a fellow Pinoy, Nilo Macaranas, in 2014. -- With a report from Zhander Cayabyab, DZMM