CHR backs state's push for better protection of Kuwait-based OFWs

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 27 2018 03:47 PM

MANILA - The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Saturday lauded government's move to better protect Filipinos in Kuwait following recent deaths of migrant workers in the Gulf state. 

The deaths of 7 Filipino women had prompted government to ban the deployment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Kuwait, with President Rodrigo Duterte threatening to pull Philippine migrants out of the country in case of another death.

"Migrant workers’ rights are human rights and we all share an obligation to make sure that our OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) are treated well and fairly around the world,” said Human Rights Commissioner Gwendolyn Gana, the agency's point person for migrant workers' rights.

“The CHR supports the government’s efforts to promote stronger protection and enhanced welfare mechanisms for our overseas Filipino workers especially those most prone to abuse and exploitation,” she said in a statement. 

Last week, DOLE halted OFW deployment to Kuwait after Duterte sought talks with Kuwaiti officials following a string of deaths of Filipino women working in the Gulf state. 

Gana said DOLE's policy on Kuwait would "hopefully provide all stakeholders, including Kuwaiti employers and recruitment agencies, time to reflect and adopt the necessary reforms to strengthen and uphold the rights of migrant workers especially those working as domestic workers."
 
On Wednesday, Duterte said he would repatriate all Filipinos working in Kuwait should another OFW die in the Gulf state.

“One more incident about a woman, a Filipina being raped there, I’m going to stop, I’m going to ban,” Duterte said.

“I’m sorry. The Filipinos there, you can all go home. Tutal kapag umalis kayong mga Filipino they will also be having a hell of a time adjusting there,” he said.