156 Chinese tourists returned to virus-stricken Wuhan: official

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 26 2020 12:52 PM | Updated as of Jan 26 2020 04:36 PM

Passengers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 pass in front of a thermal imaging machine used to look for possible signs of illness on January 23, 2020, as the country raises the alert to prevent the spread of an undetermined strain of the coronavirus originating from Wuhan, China. Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - A total of 156 Chinese tourists were flown back to Wuhan, China from Kalibo, Aklan on Saturday evening, Philippine authorities said, as the new coronavirus continued to claim lives and infect thousands across the world.

The tourists returned to the epicenter of the new strain of virus on a flight that left around 10 p.m., Kalibo airport area manager Efren Nagrama said.

Some 150 others are also set to fly out back to Wuhan on Monday evening, according to the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines.

The Chinese tourists arrived from Wuhan before the Philippines halted its flights to and from Wuhan on Thursday as precautionary measure against the spread of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov).

The respiratory contagion, which has so far claimed 56 lives and sickened nearly 1,600, have been reported in Beijing, Shanghai, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan, and has reached other countries like Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, the United States and Canada.

--Reports from Jekki Pascual, Isay Reyes, and Cherry Palma, ABS-CBN News