No leads yet on Cebu town mayor's ambush - Albayalde

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 24 2019 09:48 AM | Updated as of Jan 24 2019 10:58 AM

Watch more in iWantTFC

Investigators have no leads yet on the ambush that injured a Cebu town mayor and left 3 dead, including her husband, the chief of the national police said Thursday.

San Fernando Mayor Lakambini Reluya and her 2 bodyguards were wounded in the ambush while her husband Ricardo, their driver and their staff died when unidentified gunmen strafed their van in Talisay City, Tuesday night.

"The SITG (special investigation task group) has not come up with a good lead yet. The case is still under investigation," he told ANC.

Albayalde gave the Cebu provincial police office a 2-week ultimatum to solve the ambush. He said he is confident that the police can capture the perpetrators even without raising reward money.

Reluya earlier said the attack may have been politically-motivated. She is seeking reelection for a second term in the May 2019 elections, while her husband was supposed to run as vice mayor.

Last week, 2 allies of the couple were killed in separate incidents.

ANC, 24 January 2019