MANILA - Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday said he has demanded a full refund of P3.5 billion on top of damages from dengue vaccine-maker Sanofi Pasteur.
The French pharmaceutical firm last year said Dengvaxia could lead to more severe symptoms if given to those who have not had the mosquito-borne disease before. It paid an initial P1.16 billion refund last week.
This prompted the government to stop the sale of Dengvaxia and scrap its immunization program for school children using the drug.
Duque said he asked Sanofi to reimburse used Dengvaxia doses as well, and allocate funds for the families of children who allegedly died after receiving Dengvaxia.
"Hihingin pa rin natin, hindi lang iyung nagamit, kundi pati iyung indemnification fund. Kailangan magtabi sila ng pondo para doon sa mga pamilya na namatayan," he told DZMM.
(We are also asking a refund for used doses and an indemnification fund. They need to set aside funds for the families of fatalities.)
Sanofi officials said they would discuss the demand with their head office, Duque said.
Some 830,000 public school students were inoculated with Dengvaxia under the campaign launched by the previous administration.
At least 5 vaccine recipients died less than 6 months after receiving the drug, the Public Attorney's Office had claimed.
Duque said he and a panel of experts would attend the resumption of a Senate investigation into the vaccine on Wednesday.
Bookmark this page for a livestreaming of the probe.