MANILA - The mid-term elections will push through next year and may also include a plebiscite for the new federal constitution, Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez said Monday.
Alvarez said earlier this month that "anything is possible" and the 2019 elections might not push through if the shift to a federal system was happening by that time.
Malacañang and several senators opposed a possible "no elections" scenario unless the Constitution is amended.
In an interview with ANC's Headstart, Alvarez was asked if he was assuring the public that there would be elections next year.
He replied: "Oo (Yes)."
Alvarez also admitted he will again seek the congressional seat in the first district of Davao del Norte.
The plebiscite may be moved to 2019 if the constituent assembly tasked to amend the constitution fails to finalize proposed amendments this year, he said.
The Commission on Elections also said it was on a "wait and see" mode in the face of a possible no-election scenario in 2019 and the postponement of the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan polls in Mindanao in May.
Alvarez said the barangay and SK elections may also be moved to 2019, but then it would be an "election issue."