MANILA - Malacañang on Sunday said it was "outraged" over the fatal ambush of a former assistant prosecutor in Cebu City.
The victim, Mary Ann Castro, was driving on her way home when she was shot dead by a motorcycle-riding gunman on Thursday night.
"We are outraged by the brutal and brazen ambush of former Cebu City Assistant Prosecutor Mary Ann Castro," Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
The Department of Justice, through the National Bureau of Investigation, was directed to identify the perpetrators of the "dastardly" crime, he said.
The Philippine National Police, meanwhile, was tasked to check possible lapses considering the incident happened during an election gun ban, he added.
"We assure everyone, including the family, relatives and friends of Ms. Castro that justice will be served," said the Palace official.
In December 2017, Castro was suspended for 90 days by the Department of Justice (DOJ) over complaints filed by the family of her former husband, Leodegreco “Greco” Sanchez.
Police alleged that Castro also had a past relationship with slain police officer SPO2 Adonis Dumpit.
Dumpit, a former close-in bodyguard of Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña, was killed by authorities in Tagbilaran City, Bohol in June last year.