Duterte threatens to expose those behind 'onerous' water contracts

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 17 2020 07:59 AM

President Rodrigo Duterte. King Rodriguez, Presidential Photo

MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte threatened on Thursday to expose those behind the supposedly onerous water concession contracts of the government with Maynilad and Manila Water.

Duterte said he would reveal those responsible for the contracts whether or not the government renews its agreement with the 2 water distributors.

“But I said even if we renew the contract or not, the people should know kung sino ‘yung mga Pilipino and I will reveal all of them,” he said in a speech during the 120th anniversary celebration of Baptist Churches in the Philippines.

“I’m just trying to finish the --- I will reveal who are they so that you can ask them, including the Ayala and Pangilinan na bakit mo ginawa sa amin ‘yan (why did you do that to us)? Bigyan mo ako ng sagot. P***** i** ‘pag hindi, babarilin ko ‘yang bayag mo p*t*ng*n* k*,” he added.

(Give me an answer or else I will shoot you in the balls.)

The President previously said that he would give Maynilad and Manila Water the "option" to accept a new concession agreement that will replace the existing deals that "rip off" the public.

Should the 2 water concessionaires refuse, Duterte said he would order the cancellation of their existing concessions and the "nationalization of water services" in their respective areas.

Duterte previously threatened to file fraud charges against the owners of the 2 water companies over the supposed onerous provisions in the current contracts.