MANILA (UPDATE)—There is no meningococcemia outbreak in the country contrary to reports circulating on social media, the Department of Health (DOH) said Thursday.
The DOH, however, said it is investigating a suspected meningococcemia case after a 2-year-old who exhibited symptoms of the disease died in Valenzuela City last Monday.
"Our team has collected laboratory specimens and is still awaiting results, as of this writing. We are closely coordinating with our regional office for contact tracing," it said.
The DOH said it is monitoring those who have had close contact with the patient for signs and symptoms such as fever, vomiting, body rashes, and loose bowel movement.
In a social media post, the Valenzuela City government said test results on the patient turned up negative.
"NEGATIBO ang resulta ng isinagawang pagsusuri kaugnay ng hinihinalang kaso ng Meningococcemia sa Valenzuela City Emergency Hospital (VCEH)," the post said.
"Gayunpaman, pinaaalalahanan ng Pamahalang Lungsod ang publiko na huwag pangunahan ng takot, at maging maingat sa kalusugan. Mananatiling bukas ang VCEH at iba pang pasilidad ng lokal na pamahalaan para sa mga pasyente ano mang oras."
The Quezon City government earlier denied social media rumors of a supposed meningococcemia outbreak in Novaliches after the temporary shutdown of the district hospital's emergency room where an 11-year-old boy was taken in for treatment last week.
Meningococcemia, which is endemic to Asia, may lead to organ failure, severe disability or death.
It may be transmitted through direct close contact with contaminated individuals or their respiratory discharges.
Its contamination is seasonal and occurs mostly during colder months.