Butuan officials warn public: Unattended phone chargers can cause fire

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 18 2017 01:16 AM

BUTUAN CITY — The local Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) on Tuesday warned against unattended cellphone chargers after one such device started a blaze in one of barangays here over the weekend.

Fire Officer 1 Robert Neil Bohol of BFP Butuan received a call past 10 a.m. Saturday about a fire in Purok 10 Tambak in Barangay Upper Doongan.

The incident started in a house made of light materials owned by Wilfredo Luminario. It gutted two more homes, before firefighters were able to put out the blaze half an hour later.

Lucita Luminario, Wilfredo's wife, said the fire could have started from their kitchen due to an unattended ember.

But a fire investigator said a witness heard an explosion before smoke and flames emerged from Luminario's house.

A charger left plugged is believed to have caused the fire that destroyed three houses.

"Magbantay gyud sa paggamit og cellphone charger labina kung dili original," SFO4 Rodrigo Canton said.

(Be more careful using cellphone chargers especially if they're counterfeit.)