Robredo dares Sabio to name LP members allegedly involved in hitman's expose

Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 16 2020 10:27 PM

MANILA - Vice President Leni Robredo on Thursday dared lawyer Jude Sabio to name members of the opposition Liberal Party (LP), allegedly involved in the expose of self-confessed hitman Edgar Matobato.

The challenge came after Sabio withdrew his communication before the International Criminal Court (ICC) against President Rodrigo Duterte, claiming the opposition only used him to further its propaganda.

Robredo said Sabio, who acted as legal counsel for Matobato, should clarify his blanket statement on the supposed involvement of LP in Matobato’s expose and the subsequent filing of the ICC communication.

“Gusto ko siyang tanungin kung sino sa LP, kasi parang pinapalabas niya na LP iyong behind sa pag-file sa ICC. Iyon, complete lie, kasi wala namang hand ang partido sa pag-file,” said Robredo, chair of LP.

(I want to ask him who in LP is involved, because he's trying to show that LP is behind the ICC case. That's a complete lie because the party did not have a hand in it.)

Matobato previously linked Duterte to the alleged Davao Death Squad (DDS) and alleged that the chief executive was responsible for alleged extrajudicial killings in Davao City.

Robredo also chided Sabio for his connection with suspended lawyer and known Duterte supporter Larry Gadon, who supposedly gave assistance during the crafting of the letter of withdrawal to the ICC.

“Lalo pa kasi si Atty. Gadon iyong kasama. Si Atty. Gadon din iyong kasama noong nag-file ng sedition case sa akin, na ano talaga, 100 percent kasinungalingan,” Robredo said.

(The allegations are much shadier since Gadon is involved. Gadon also was there when sedition cases were filed against me, which were 100 percent lies.)

Sabio, who made the filing before the court at the Hague, Netherlands, said he signed and sworn an affidavit and statement that he did not approve opposition personalities, including from LP, have resorted to, aimed at besmirching Duterte.

"I fervently request that it be expunged or erased from the record, and that it should not be used in any way in the ongoing preliminary examination," he said in a 28-page letter addressed to ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda.