MANILA - There is no outbreak of the potentially deadly meningococcemia in Quezon City, its local government said Thursday.
Social media rumors of a supposed meningococcemia outbreak in Novaliches circulated after the temporary shutdown of the district hospital's emergency room, where an 11-year-old boy was taken for treatment last week.
The patient was immediately transferred to a specialized government healthcare facility where he can be treated in isolation, the Quezon City government said in a Facebook post.
“There was no outbreak at all. Everything is under control,” said Dr. Olivia Favor, medical director of the Novaliches District Hospital.
The hospital's emergency room returned to normal operations on Sunday after all equipment used by the patient was decontaminated, she said.
"The shutdown was a normal preventive measure. The risk has never been considered a threat," Favor said.
NDH patients and employees exposed to the boy were also given preventive treatment, she said.
Meningococcemia, which is endemic to Asia, may lead to organ failure, severe disability or death.
It may be transmitted through direct close contact with contaminated individuals or their respiratory discharges. Its contamination is seasonal and occurs mostly during colder months.
The disease is characterized by sudden onset of high fever for 24 hours, stiff neck, delirium; altered mental state; vomiting; cough; sore throat; pinpoint rashes that become wider and appear like bruises starting on the legs and arms; large map-like, bruise-like patches; severe skin lesions that may lead to gangrene; and unstable vital signs.