MANILA - The Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday directed the Department of Health (DOH) to comment on a petition asking it to address the dangers posed by the dengue vaccine Dengvaxia.
The Philippines late last year halted the vaccination of public school students with Dengvaxia after French drug maker Sanofi disclosed that it might increase the risk of severe dengue if administered to those who have never been infected with the mosquito-borne disease.
The Gabriela Women’s Party asked the Supreme Court last December to compel the DOH, the Department of Education, and the Department of Interior and Local Government to provide long-term consultations and treatment for more than 800,000 children inoculated with the vaccine.
The high court directed the respondents to "comment on the petition for mandamus that was filed within a period of 10 days after notice," SC spokesperson Theodore Te told reporters.
The government earlier said it would shoulder the medical needs of Dengvaxia recipients and order Sanofi to set up an indemnification fund for the purpose.
Sanofi has said that only 1 out of 10 Filipinos have no exposure to dengue and were the only ones facing the risk of contracting severe dengue.
The issue has triggered separate probes by the Senate, House of Representatives, and National Bureau of Investigation.