MANILA -- A shortened route and a ban on vendors on the procession route yielded fewer garbage so far during this year's Black Nazarene procession or "Traslacion" on Thursday, data showed.
The city government collected up to 70 tons of trash as of 10:30 a.m., enough to fill 14 garbage trucks, data from the city government showed.
The volume of collected trash could double by the end of the procession, likely smaller than the 387 tons of garbage that were picked up last year, officials said.
Manila Mayor Isko Moreno earlier said he expected a smaller garbage haul this year due to the route adjustment and vendor ban.
The "Traslacion" this year moved at the faster pace, with authorities hoping for it to finish by 6 p.m., instead of the following day.