MANILA - Ombudsman Samuel Martires on Wednesday refused to confirm nor deny a supposedly ongoing investigation involving Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno, as revealed by House Majority Leader Rolando Andaya.
Andaya earlier claimed that field investigators of the Office of the Ombudsman had requested copies of documentary and testimonial evidence gathered in a hearing in Naga City on the supposed big-time contracts in the region linked to Diokno's family.
“I neither confirm nor deny that the so-called 'flood control scam' is under investigation,” Martires said in a statement.
Martires stressed that he had earlier decided that unlike his predecessors, he would keep ongoing Ombudsman investigations confidential.
“It must be remembered that investigations conducted by the Field Investigation Office of the Office of the Ombusman are highly confidential in nature,” Martires said.
Lawmakers failed to pass the 2019 budget before the close of 2018 due to questions over alleged "insertions" that Andaya blamed on Diokno. The budget chief has denied wrongdoing.