CEBU -- A 9-year-old boy died in a fire that engulfed their home in Barangay Gun-ob, Lapu-Lapu City, Sunday afternoon.
The fire, according to authorities, lasted for only 8 minutes but the boy, James Sorbilla, failed to open their locked door during the incident.
The kid fell asleep at home after Sunday's Church service only to wake up in an inferno, said fire investigator Ruffred Amores.
Sorbillo was still holding the Bible when his body was recovered by firemen.
Accordig to Amores, his sibling was playing outside when the fire began. His grandmother and other siblings were also not home.
The kid's uncle Benjie, who was in a town fiesta celebration, came home that afternoon to the tragic news.
Initial probe reveals the incident may be caused by a short circuit. The fire spread quickly due to combustible materials inside the house.
Authorities estimate the damage caused by the fire at around P15,000.