MANILA - The Sandiganbayan 1st Division reiterated its order to transfer businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles to the Correctional Institution for Women in Mandaluyong City from the Bureau of Jail Management and Facility in Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City.
The anti-graft court denied in open court Friday morning the most urgent motion for reconsideration filed by Napoles who was sentenced to reclusion perpetua after being found guilty of plunder in connection with the Priority Development Assistance Fund of former senator Bong Revilla.
Napoles’ lawyer Erwin Legaspi argued in the motion that the mittimus or the transfer order of the court dated December 28, 2018 was signed by Associate Justice Edgardo Caldona as “Chairperson”.
Division Chairperson Efren de la Cruz however said during the hearing that the internal rules of the Sandiganbayan provide that if the chairperson and the senior justice are on official leave, the junior member can sign the order.
“There is nothing wrong with the mittimus,” de la Cruz said.
De la Cruz also asked Legaspi if his client is still in Camp Bagong Diwa, to which the lawyer replied: “As of yesterday, yes, your honor.”
Legaspi had earlier asked in their motion for reconsideration that the CIW is not safe for Napoles and she is better off in Camp Bagong Diwa as she appeals the verdict of the court.
Meantime, the court also ordered the prosecution to file its opposition to the motion for reconsideration filed by Napoles on the decision finding her guilty of plunder.
De la Cruz said that upon filing of the opposition, the matter is deemed submitted for resolution.