DAVAO CITY - A 15-year-old boy accidentally burned his left eyebrow when an improvised firecracker flared up on his face on New Year's eve, becoming the first firecracker-related injury in this city in 10 years.
Dr. Ricardo Audan of Southern Philippines Medical Center said "James" and his friends made an improvised firecracker out of "kalburo" or Calcium Carbide and stacks of tin cans.
When it failed to go off, James picked up the improvised firecracker to see what was wrong. This was when the firecracker flared up, burning his left eyebrow and causing a minor eye injury.
Two other people were rushed to the Southern Philippines Medical Center on New Year's Eve due to firecracker-related injuries. But the two, said Dr. Audan, were not from Davao City but from neighboring towns.
One of them, a 4-year-old boy, was injured after a "flying tiger" firecracker lit by his uncle sparked on the kid's chest. The other one was injured due to a "piccolo" firecracker.
Davao has been strictly implementing an ordinance totally banning use of firecrackers since 2002, when President Rodrigo Duterte was still mayor of the southern Philippine city.
Duterte has issued an executive order restricting the use of firecrackers to community zones. It was implemented for the first time last weekend as Filipinos welcome 2018.
From Dec. 21, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018, the Department of Health recorded 191 firecracker injuries, a "substantial" decrease from the previous year, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
The Department of Health has recorded 191 firecracker-related injuries from December 21, 2017 to January 1, 2018, which is lower than least year's 604 reported injuries in the same period.
-- report from Berchan Louie Angchay, ABS-CBN News