At least P182 million worth of financial aid will be given to 20,000 farmers affected by tropical storm Vinta, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol said Tuesday.
"Insurance payments for farmers in the Zamboanga Peninsula and Northern Mindanao will be released on January 4 and 5," Piñol said in a statement.
Central Mindanao "will get the biggest share of the insurance payments with P53.4 million" for 5,872 farmers," he said.
The following Mindanao regions will also receive aid from the agriculture department:
- Davao Region - P50.1 million for 5,284 farmers
- Northern Mindanao - P 42.2 million for 4,439 farmers
- Zamboanga Peninsula - P 18.5 million for 3,348 farmers
- Caraga Region - P 16.3 million for 1,735 farmers
- Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao - P1.2 million for 162 farmers
Tropical storm Vinta's wrath resulted in agricultural losses amounting to P7.8 million in agriculture in Agusan del Sur alone, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council spokesperson Romina Marasigan said last week.