Ombudsman orders dismissal of 3 Mindanao mayors

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 05 2015 06:21 PM | Updated as of Nov 05 2015 10:55 PM

MANILA – Three Mindanao mayors were dismissed from service and are no longer allowed to hold public office, the Office of the Ombudsman said Thursday.

Dismissed from service were Cagayan de Oro (CDO) City Mayor Oscar Moreno, Matanao, Davao del Sur Mayor Vicente Fernandez, and Ditsa-an Ramain, Lanao del Sur Mayor Mamintal Adiong.

The three mayors and 27 other officials were dismissed for committing grave misconduct, serious dishonesty, gross neglect of duty, and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales said Moreno's dismissal from service stems from his government's entry into a settlement agreement with Ajinomoto Philippines which allowed the latter to pay P300,000 instead of its original local business tax deficiency of P2.9 million.

Morales said the agreement was made without prior authorization from the Sangguniang Panlungsod, in violation of Republic Act 7160 (The Local Government Code).

Dismissed together with Moreno was Glenn Bañez, officer-in-charge of the Treasurer's Office.

Fernandez, meanwhile, was found to be discharging his functions as mayor even while in detention and facing charges for the killing of a journalist.

Adiong was found guilty of grave abuse of authority, grave misconduct and oppression for ordering the burning of a truck owned by JERA General Construction which was hired by the Lanao del Sur Electric Cooperative, Inc. (LASURECO) to install concrete electric posts and distribution lines in the municipality.

3 MAYORS, 4 VICE-MAYORS FACING CRIMINAL RAPS

Last month, former CDO Mayor Vicente Emano, Tandag City Mayor Alexander Pimentel, Isulan, Sultan Kudarat Mayor Diosdado Pallasigue, four vice-mayors and 30 other local officials in Mindanao were criminally indicted for various charges.

Emano was charged for allegedly refusing to implement a final and executory decision of the Civil Service Commission (CSC), in violation of the Revised Administrative Code of 1987.

His case stems from the a complaint filed by Administrative Assistant III Leonor Esparcia who was demoted as watchman at the city library. Esparcia brought the matter to the CSC and eventually won. However, Emano allegedly refused to reinstate Esparcia in her original position.

In the case of Pimentel, the Ombudsman said he committed graft when he allegedly refused to pay Mario Cuartero, a member of the Sangguniang Panlungsod, the total amount of P 485,369.24 representing the latter's salaries, allowances and bonuses from July 2010 to June 2011.

The Ombudsman said Pallasigue, meanwhile, also committed graft when he refused to reinstate Municipal Planning and Development Coordinator Elias Segura, Jr. in March 2014.