Typhoon 'Quiel' batters Isabela

by Ron Gagalac, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 01 2011 04:56 PM | Updated as of Oct 02 2011 12:56 AM

ISABELA, Philippines – The province of Isabela was battered by Typhoon “Quiel” when it made landfall early Saturday morning.

The strong winds peaking up to 195 kilometers per hour caused some trees to be uprooted while its strong rains cause almost zero visibility in major highways.

The onslaught lasted for about 3 hours starting from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. But unlike Typhoon “Pedring”, which exhibited more of winds than rains when it made landfall in Aurora province, Quiel brought simultaneous strong winds and strong rains to Isabela.

Many structures in the town of Cauayan were damaged, mostly billboards, tarpaulins and wooden materials. The series of main barriers of the Isabela highway were also destroyed by the typhoon. Quiel also toppled down electric posts and cable wires swayed as if they are being pulled by the winds.

The quick reaction unit of the local government immediately cleared the highway of fallen trees and other debris, making it passable to all kinds of vehicles.
But despite the province being placed under signal number 3, the Obra family still pushed through with the funeral parade of their father along Maharlika Highway in the town of Alicia, Isabela.

In the exclusive video of ABS-CBN News, the entire entourage together with the funeral car was fighting the strong winds while parading towards the church for the final mass in honor of their father, Mauro Obra.

They walked under strong rains and winds, and their umbrellas didn't help. 

His son Julius told ABS-CBN News that they decided to push through with the funeral despite the danger because it was already scheduled, and their father's wake already lasted for two weeks.

"Ito talaga ang araw ng schedule niya itinuloy na namin, ‘yun kasi usapan at naka schedule na," he said.

Julius added that his sisters work abroad and need to go back to their jobs as soon as possible.