Nineteen-year-old Mary Antoniette Acedo died after overdosing from slimming pills. Photo courtesy of Dynah Diestro, ABS-CBN News Northern Mindanao
ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE -- A 19-year-old woman in Roxas, Zamboanga del Norte died after overdosing from slimming pills.
Investigation showed that Mary Antoniette Acedo was in the hospital for five days after suffering from stomachache, diarrhea and experiencing vomiting.
She had told the doctor that she might be suffering from amoebiasis.
Acedo was one of the contestants for the Miss Dapitan 2015 beauty pageant which will be held on July 23.
According to her mother, Mary Jane, Acedo told her that she had been taking slimming pills she bought online in preparation for the pageant.
Dr. Rosinee Monte confirmed that Acedo took too many slimming pills, based on laboratory results.
Monte added that Acedo took four pills a day, which is the recommended dose for an obese person.
Acedo, however, was not obese and only weighed 40 kilograms.
"When she took this more or less toxic doses, she vomited and then she had this LBM [loose bowel movement] and then it [high dose] actually caused damage to her other organs. Based on the studies, when you take it in toxic doses or mega doses of that drug, the main side effect is in the liver so her liver function tests were actually deranged," Monte said.
An officer from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the region also warned the public from taking pills or any food supplement without an FDA certificate. -- report from Dynah Diestro, ABS-CBN News Northern Mindanao