MANILA, Philippines – Davao City Regional Trial Court Sheriff Abe Andres has extended his apologies to Mayor Sara Duterte after earlier declaring that he will no longer press charges against her.
Andres said that he was actually willing to grant Duterte’s request to halt the demolition of the houses of illegal settlers in Agdao district, if only RTC Judge Emmanuel Carpio responded to him on time.
“Ma’am, pasensya na ho at hindi ko ibinigay ang hinihingi ninyo. Eh pinasa ko naman kay judge. Sana maintidihan niyo na inaantay ko na lang ang advice [galing] kay judge that time,” Andres said.
Duterte, however, said Andres should personally talk to her regarding the matter instead of coursing his apology through media.
"Ang sabi ko nga, 'Pangit kasi eh. Ang sorry mo eh ipinaabot mo sa media at pinaabot mo sa ibang tao. Kung ako magso-sorry personal din,'" Duterte said.
Duterte is currently on leave as the city’s mayor until July 11. But that did not stop her from visiting the affected residents of Sitio Soliman, Barangay Agdao.
The mayor continues to receive the support of the residents. Ribbons of green, the mayor’s favorite color, were tied all over the area.
"'Yong pamilya namin kapag nilagay niyo kami diyan sa posisyon, binigyan niyo kami ng trabaho. Ako, personally, would be willing to die for Davao City," she said.
During the visit, Duterte also distributed cash to the residents.
Asked about her police escort involved in the manhandling of Andres, Duterte said: “Wala akong ibinigay sa kanya na unlawful order.”
Activists, meanwhile, stormed the regional office of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) to ask for a probe on the police deployed in the violent demolition last week.
"High powered firearms pa talaga ang dala nila. Kumbaga parang giyera talaga 'yong pinuntahan," said Sheena Duazo, President of the militant group Kadamay. – Reports from Francis Magbanua, ABS-CBN News Southern Mindanao; and ANC