2 Koreans accused of raping Japanese women

by Carine Asutilla, ABS-CBN News Central Visayas

Posted at Jun 25 2012 08:44 PM | Updated as of Jun 26 2012 04:45 AM

CEBU CITY, Philippines - The Japanese community in Cebu is saddened by reports that 2 young Japanese women were sexually molested by 2 Koreans in Lapu-Lapu City.

Charges were filed against the 2 Koreans on Monday afternoon at the Lapu-Lapu City Prosecutors Office.

Akira Oka, former chairman and now consultant of the Japanese community in Cebu, said that the incident can be considered as one of the hardest to comment on.

"Japan (is a) very peaceful country. (It is) very seldom for case like this to happen. We (were) surprised," said Oka.

One of the Japanese victims went to Cebu to visit a friend while the other victim came to study the English language.

Based on a report by police Senior Superintendent Jose Pante, director of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Central Visayas, the Japanese girls and 2 Koreans met at a resort in Lapu-Lapu City.

They went out to have drinks and when the women got drunk, they were brought to a motel in Lapu-Lapu City where the 2 pairs shared one room.

"They made sure that the girls were so drunk and took advantage of them," Pante said.

The unconscious victims were allegedly raped and were left at the motel with a P700 bill.

Pante said that a Filipino friend of the victims sought police help.

The women underwent a medical examination and were found to have been abused.

Police arrested the suspects Saturday morning.

Oka said that they are not blaming anybody for the incident.

He said that it doesn't have anything to do with anyone's nationality.

"In the past, very long time ago, Korea was under Japan. But today, we no longer see that way. All I can say is that when you are in a foreign country, you have to take care of yourself. Protect yourself," Oka said.

He hopes that justice will be served in case.

"I believe that the court will make a fair decision, not related to nationality," Oka said.

The Korean suspects will undergo a medical check-up on Tuesday before they are sent to Lapu-Lapu City jail.