MANILA - A farmer from San Vicente, Ilocos Sur died due to a snake bite on his finger.
Victim Camilo Raganit was reportedly bitten by a cobra while he was cutting grass in Barangay San Sebastian.
“Alam kong cobra kasi marami doon sa banda doon,” said Maurito Rigunay, a relative of the victim.
Raganit was first taken to a folk healer, but he did not get well.
His family then brought him to the rural health unit, but it had no available antivenom.
The farmer was later transferred to the Ilocos Sur Provincial Hospital-Gabriela Silang where he was declared dead-on-arrival.
The provincial health office said that they do not keep a stock of anti venom because it is expensive.
“Ang paggawa nito ay medyo metikoloso, tapos 'pag ini-stock mo siya, ang kanyang shelf life o ‘yung buhay niya o ‘yung bisa niya ay maikli lang. Aabutin lang ng ilang linggo,” provincial health officer Trina Talaga explained.