Dengue cases in CDO reach 600

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 21 2012 06:12 PM | Updated as of Jun 22 2012 02:12 AM

MANILA, Philippines – The number of dengue cases in Cagayan de Oro City since January this year has reached 600, according to data from the Department of Health (DOH).

From January to June, DOH said dengue cases have increased at an alarming rate compared to the same period last year.

In 2011, only 269 cases of dengue were reported in the first 6 months of the year.

But this year, the number has climbed to 640.

The increase prompted provincial health officer Dr. Ignacio Moreno to strengthen its campaign to inform residents on how to fight the illness.

Residents with fever were also advised to consult doctors immediately.

They were also reminded to maintain a clean surrounding to prevent the breeding of dengue-carrying mosquitoes.
 
Meanwhile, the number of dengue cases in Misamis Oriental has slightly dropped, DOH said.

From 288 cases in the first half of 2011, the number dipped to 276 cases in 2012. -- Report from Rod Bolivar, ABS-CBN News Northern Mindanao