Lolo dies of heat stroke in Leyte bunkhouse


Posted at Jun 18 2014 02:52 PM | Updated as of Jun 19 2014 02:37 AM


MANILA - An elderly man died of heat stroke inside a bunkhouse in Yolanda-hit Barangay Tacuranga, Palo, Leyte.

According to Candelaria Redona, the doctors told her that her husband, 75-year-old Antonio, suffered stroke due to extreme heat.

Redona pointed to the stifling heat in the bunkhouse as the cause of her husband's death.

"Sabi ng doktor, nag-stroke daw dahil sa init. Sobrang init kasi dito," she said.

The bunkhouse manager in the village, however, said the situation inside the shelter should not be blamed for Antonio's death.

"Hindi naman po dahil sa bunkhouse. Ang alam ko po dahil sa iba't-ibang season, minsan po lumalamig, minsan mainit," Jocelyn Tabon said.

Meanwhile, some children have also fallen ill.

Residents said that while the bunkhouses have access to electricity, only lights may be used.

Because of this, some choose to sleep outside the shelters.

According to Tabon, they may have additional power supply by September that will allow residents to hook up more appliances such as electric fans. -- Report from Sharon Evite, ABS-CBN News Tacloban; ANC